National Museum Onix
This museum space of Viseu has a collection that includes works of art of diverse typology and chronology. The main collection of the museum consists of a remarkable set of altarpiece paintings, from the Cathedral, the churches of the region and deposits of other museums, authored by Vasco Fernandes (c. 1475-1542), the Grand Vasco, employees and contemporary. The collection also includes objects and props figurative originally intended for liturgical practices (painting, sculpture, jewelry and ivories, from the Romanesque to the Baroque), mostly from the Cathedral and churches in the area, to be added archaeological exhibits, an important collection of painting Portuguese of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, copies of Portuguese faience, oriental porcelain and furniture
Museum of Sacred Art of Viseu Cathedral
In addition to the monumental architecture and the works exposed to the devotion inside, Viseu Cathedral houses, upstairs, the Sacred Art Museum. Constituted by the ancient treasure of the Cathedral, this museum displays collections of images, liturgical vestments, cult implements, chorus and furniture books.
Among the valuable pieces that make up the collection highlights are two safes-reliquaries of the century XIII enamelled copper School of Limoges, unique pieces in Portugal, and a custodial drawn up in 1533, which belonged to the famous bishop and humanist Miguel da Silva and is one of the most valuable pieces of Portuguese sacred art.
Six details that can not fail to appreciate the Viseu Cathedral:
- The chancel of the seventeenth century, designed by Friar John Turriano, which houses a baroque altarpiece 1731; This replaced the sixteenth-century altarpiece whose paintings are currently exhibited in the Museum Onix,
- The magnificent cloister of classic lines, that invites meditation;
- The Chapel of the White Santos, with a admirable sixteenth-century altarpiece in stone Ançã and a master Pieta Jean de Rouen,
- The fifteenth chapel of Calvary,
- tile panels with episodes of S. Teotonio life in the galleries the cloister;
- The Chapter room, the second floor of the cloister with magnificent paneled Mudejar ceilings and tiles from the eighteenth century, run by Manuel da Silva
Museum Almeida Moreira
This house as Portuguese, House Museum Almeida Moreira, where he lived the teacher and art critic Francisco António Almeida Moreira, founder of the Museum Onix, went to her both a meeting space of art and literature, which crossed emblematic figures of the twentieth century, including Columbano Bordallo pine, Raul Lino or Luciano Freire.
The building now houses part of the collection of collection the former curator met in life, including paintings, porcelain and earthenware, sculptures and furniture as well as a vast library. Experience the culture of Beira right next to the Rossio
Museum of Mercy Treasury Museum
is designated as by Treasury of Mercy museum center of the Santa Casa da Misericordia de Viseu, patent in the north wing of the Church of Mercy. It is exposed to a significant body of property which, over nearly five centuries of life of this fellowship, served to comply with its diverse service mission that touched the help compendiada the Works of Mercy called into action from whom, among men , most lacked was.
The Cava de Viriato
Despite the name that designates, it is now known that the cava locatedon the Largo da Feira de São Mateus de Viseu has nothing to do with Viriato, the Lusitanian warrior whose statue adorns this place.
Contrary to the popular imagination led to believe, recent research confirms that have not been the Lusitanian who built this fortress. And if some authors attribute to the Romans about the first century BC, there are others who claim that Muslims who were raised this city-camp. While new digs do not confirm the true foundation of this mythical place, come and enjoy this piece of history in the middle of town
Aquilino Ribeiro Park (City Park)
The Aquilino Ribeiro Park, commonly called City Park, presents itself as a pleasant space for the enjoyment of nature. A park where there are large trees, various botanical species, lake and grassed area, having been part of the fifth of the former Convent of Sto. António Capuchin (given to the Franciscans in 1635). In the park you can also visit the Chapel of Nossa Senhora da Vitória (XVII century) and watch to João de Barros statue. The current designation - Aquilino Ribeiro Park - is certainly deserved the honor of the people of the border to the great writer Beira
Occupying a vast area to the east of the city, it was part of the Quinta Palace of Bishops, which had its greatest splendor in the sixteenth century, with Bishop Miguel da Silva. The forest is rich in plant species and trees (chestnut and oak trees) that must have accompanied the entire history of Viseu in the last millennium. Bishop D. Gonçalo Pinheiro sent there to build a small chapel dedicated to St. Jerome that there are only ruins and memories. In the lower part, with better agricultural potential, settled agrarian Station Viseu. The remaining part represents the largest public green space in the city and has been used for the implementation of major recreational facilities. Now it has a stadium with renewed countertops, swimming pools, tennis courts, multipurpose pavilion, several training camps and even a campsite and a playground. Next to the old Fontelo Portal constitutes the seat of the Portuguese Youth Institute
Line of Dan, old railway line between Santa Comba Dao and Viseu, disabled in 1988, was transformed in 2011 in the beautiful Ecotrail Dan. With 49 km is the Ecopista longer of Portugal and perhaps also the most beautiful.
The initial part of this bike path, starting from Santa Comba Dao, situated on the banks of the river Dao and its tributary, the river Paiva . Each bend in the river means a curve in Ecopista and magnificent views in the midst of nature.
Later in the Ecopista moves away from the river, but the landscape is still very beautiful, with many oaks, chestnut and oak trees, but also some vineyards, cultivated fields and villages, and further, views of the Serra do Caramulo to the north and on the mountains of the Southern Star.